View Single Post
Old May 8, 2017   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
@Ray-
Thanks for the link. No, I have not added any fertilizer other than what was in the pre-mixed soil. From that article and my other research, I think that heat or lack of nutrients is the most likely cause. I can't control the heat, but I think that I still need to address the lack of nutrients as the most likely cause.
Any starter fertilizer in the pre-mixed soil will not satisfy the needs of a fast growing mature fruiting plant.

Quote:
You've said you've used the various Tones with tomatoes, have you used the Tomato Tone on other plants like bell peppers? I'm growing mostly tomatoes and a few peppers; I'd be fine ordering TT if it was usable on my other plants as well.
Yes TT works fine on peppers and other plants too.

Quote:
What is the purpose of the fist emulsion? If I have bone meal in the soil and a fertilizer like Tomato Tone or Vegetable Tone that contains nitrogen, what does the fish emulsion do?
It's basically a fast source of plant nutrients.

Fist Emulsion is a byproduct of industry, It is the fluid left over using heat to separate and remove the oils and fish meal. Since it's cooked down the proteins and amino acids are denatured but retains NPK and micronutrtents.

Fish Hydrolysate is enzymatically digested fish carcasses left over from fish processing or whole junk fish that are not useful as food. It's a cold process that liquefies the fish parts and retains the oils, proteins and amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins and all. The available nitrogen percentage is lower in the NPK analysis than emulsion because it's not as concentrated by cooking down.

Both types need to be stabilized at a low PH to prevent microbes from growing in the bottle and putrefying the stuff, Phosphoric acid is mostly used as a preservative for this which also adds to the plant available phosphorous content.

Bone meal is primarily calcium phosphate. Soft Rock Phosphate is also primarily calcium phosphate. Most phosphorous in natural soils is also tied up as insoluble calcium phosphate. Phosphorous is a highly reactive element and doesn't exist in natural soils in soluble plant available form. That's where microbes come in, Mycorrhizal fungi are particularly good at breaking down calcium phosphate and delivering phosphate directly into the plant roots.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote