Thread: Fall Cole Crops
View Single Post
Old January 10, 2018   #30
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

We had over a week of much lower than normal temps with some as low as 4 degrees. I just took a look at my greenhouse,the citrus look very sad and I may have lost at least some despite running a space heater. The smaller space heater that I usually run couldn’t keep up and it must have gotten below freezing. I lost my Datil and carolina reaper peppers. All the basil plants just melted to nothing.
The garden fared better but I’m pretty sure that most of my winter cole crops are gone. The book choy is brown on the outside but I’m hoping the insides are good. I had already lost the cauliflower and broccoli to goats.
I don’t know about the tiny chard,cilantro or artichokes yet. The collards and kale that weren’t eaten by goats are probably ok.
I’m actually worried we may have lost some local plants it was so cold. I’m worried about my fruit trees as they didn’t lose their leaves this fall for some reason and I planted them just this spring. ( 3 and 5 way apples,pears,Asian pears,peaches and plots).
Like Bill,I really did enjoy the 7” of snow plus cold weather. Reminded me of my childhood in CO.
I hope Bill is right about the pests because the stink bugs and leaf footed bugs were awful the past two summers.

Last edited by Tracydr; January 10, 2018 at 10:34 AM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote