View Single Post
Old May 5, 2008   #39
3 Olives
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGary View Post
“Bill, just curious but how did Gary get seeds for this last year when Jere only listed it in the 2008 catalog? Maybe he asked for new variety seeds in return for Granny Cantrell, or similar. Just a thought.”
I have shared a number of Heirloom Tomato varieties with Baker Creek and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange directly and indirectly My dear friends, Merlyn and Mary Ann Niedens, have grown and are growing varieties I pass along to them for trial. They have introduced the “Granny Cantrell’s” German, Atkinson, Hazelfield Farm Red, and have others this season being grown for release this year and next..

I am recovering from a full day spent in Cincinnati at the CHOPTAG Plant Exchange. This is the energizer which gets me started for a summer of growing Heirloom Tomatoes! All these good folks just keep growing on you year after year like family and provide the cream of the crop tomato seedlings with such generosity. We had outsiders wander by and they were rewarded with tomatoes as well! The Tomato Tasting is even better! COME JOIN US!

I knew this Thread had been started and visited several times, but I am not a Daniel and don’t venture into the “lions” den often! I was not aware of a thread at GW as I go there infrequently.

In January of 2007 the folks at Baker Creek kindly shared a few seed of the True Black Brandywine with me; they indicated that William Woys Weaver had shared seed with them and plans were for it to be grown and listed in the 2008 catalog.
I germinated a number of the seed without difficulty and had some spare plants which I shared with a select few folks who I knew would enjoy growing them. I sent Bill a variety of seedlings last spring because he has been so generous in sharing with me. Germination was very good and my saved seed from the TBB did extremely well this season with germination.

Before responding to this thread, I checked the few seedlings I have ready for planting. They are a good healthy/strong potato leaf plant and are ready for planting. True Black Brandywine is an indeterminate, midseason, good flavor, with several buds to a truss, medium plus size fruit, with dark deep pink to purple tomatoes. Shoulders have a bronzy/green/purple coloration similar to Cherokee Chocolate. 2007 growing season was hot and dry and production was low on most all my varieties; I am growing the TBB again this year in hopes of a bountiful season on it and all my tomatoes!
Gary

Gary - You don't have to "chime in". You are beyond answering to carolyn.
3 Olives is offline   Reply With Quote