Thread: Figs
View Single Post
Old July 13, 2017   #36
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Once acclimated to outside 90F is no big deal, it would produce some awesome tasting figs, that's for sure! Figs are sub tropical trees, and can take a lot more heat than 90F.

On air layers, I just did four of them. I left them about 8 weeks, way over what's needed. All had lot's of roots, and it's day 3 and they look fine. On two, some leaves wilted so I removed the wilted leaves. I like using a bottle, it's just so easy and takes only a few minutes to put on. I found cutting the bottle down a little works well.
I use this method and every one I did worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Dc2nADaH4

I have not watched this video in some time, but I like to cut the screw top off as often the plastic is really thick there and hard to cut. So I just remove it.

I have 5 figs in ground, they die in the winter, the above ground top, roots are hardy to below zero. They regrow and produce anyway. Only a few will do this, and I'm experimenting with which ones do. I have about 35 trees in containers (all different cultivars) I overwinter in the garage. I never have them in the house. I should get about 300 to 500 figs this year (never really counted them). All kinds, green, yellow, purple, black etc. yellow, amber, and red interiors.

Last edited by drew51; July 13, 2017 at 01:09 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote