View Single Post
Old May 29, 2016   #5
MasterJ40
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for so many responses...
I am not sure if there are different varieties within the "Ichiban" eggplant but that's what the tag on this one said...

When I had the Tortang Talong, it was my wife who cooked it, numerous times, because I lived there from Aug 2014 to July 2015 (eggplants were like 8 for 20 pesos there..about 50 cents!)...and when she tried it here in America, it was with a Chinese eggplant from the big international market in Atlanta, but there wasn't a bitter taste, it was no taste at all pretty much..she has been told by another Filipina that they have never been able to find a eggplant with that same Filipino flavor either in the US. I just brought my wife to the US on a visa last July so it will be a while til we can go visit the Phils again but we won't really want to try to smuggle seeds out...I understand that they take that stuff even more serious than taking meats out of the country...

Has anybody tried Talong Bagoong? That is eggplant stir fried and then you put fermented shrimp or crab paste on it...it stinks and is super powerful but I love it with rice!

To the person who said that putting the white underside of the eggplant I picked in the sun wouldn't do much,,,well, after a day it actually DID start to turn a light purple, nothing like the top but a definite change in color..but it was starting to feel a little too soft so I had my wife cut it up (taking out the little holes from a couple of beetles), and she simply stir fried it and then poured scrambled egg over it...with salt it was pretty tasty...Not super delicious but pretty good. Not much seeds and no bitterness. I figure the others will be okay since the blossoms are all up at the top of the plant now and will hang down...

Yes, you are right that the first eggplant grew by itself and was fatter at first, so you might be right that since these are two growing side by side that they are taking longer....I'll update once they get bigger...

If someone does have seeds from the Philippines already here in the US, I'd love to have them..it might be too late to plant this year but I could definitely want them for next season...eggplant was one of the few things I ate in the Philippines that didn't make me get so fat!

Thanks for these and any future replies, Jason

Last edited by MasterJ40; May 29, 2016 at 02:30 PM.
MasterJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote