View Single Post
Old July 10, 2017   #6
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
Tomatilloes are strongly outbreeding, while tomatoes are strongly inbreeding. The consequence is that it will take a lot more time (and numbers of plants each year) to stabilize a new variety.

If the stature is genetic, you are still likely to not get all short plants next year from seed saved from shorty. However, every normal-sized plant will be a carrier for the short trait. Saving seeds from short plants each year will eventually filter out the tall trait.

In tomatoes, the dwarf and micro seedlings germinate a little bit slower than the normal sized plants. If you grow enough seedlings, you might notice the same pattern with your tomatilloes.

I say go for it. One of my projects is trying to stabilize a tomatillo line with inky-black fruit. Not sure how long it will take, but I've got the time.
Thanks for that! I'll definitely save seed, and see what future growouts will bring. I've noticed that dwarf tomatoes germinate more slowly, too, so delayed development will be something I watch for. The little tomatillo started to blossom later than the others... but profusely. It reminds me of a determinate tomato -- it seemed to produce a lot of blossoms all at once (and I wonder if they'll open all at once); the tall tomatillos seem to produce and open their blossoms over time.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote