View Single Post
Old August 23, 2016   #38
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I have only grown garlic one time, this year. I have no knowledge of virus issues in it so if this is a big deal and there is some way to tell, please do tell. I am not placing another order for German White garlic this year over the internet when I have large 3" bulbs that I bought locally and was able to see and pick out myself without paying for shipping. If I don't get good results I will certainly revisit Filarees and Getgarlic.com. I noted the recommendations and do appreciate them. If I order that way in the future, however, given the expense I suspect it will only be if I can do it very early and get the choice bulbs, especially since I can't see what I am buying in advance.

While I would like to get larger and more consistently sized bulbs, call me crazy but I would also like a little more storage time, even if it means some smaller bulbs. I don't feel limited to and either/or situation. I could plant some that would give me larger more consistent bulbs and also plant a few that store longer, even if they are smaller, which I could use when the others are no longer usable. If I got garlic crazy I might even plant 3 varieties just so I could see what does best for me.+
Garlic is one of the easiest crops to grow, so don't over think it. Sunshine and a nice mulching to keep weeds at bay, your good. Weather seems to play a big factor, but outside of control. Props on not falling victim to advertising ploys and get the big bulb local. "Why Pay More?"
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote