View Single Post
Old November 12, 2017   #30
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

That pic is a little better. 22/27(?):6:12? That's more like it. But still a lot of N for tomatoes.

Quote:
.The pot was then put on the tray on the capillary cloth.. now I think it was unlikely that the plants would actually be able to get water from the cloth...unless it grew roots down to it
Excuse me?!? Then what the bloody hell is the point of the cloth?? It wicks water into the soil. That mechanism depends not at all on roots.

When I transplant I like to do it with wet mix because it's easier to handle and less likely to send dust up my nose. Then I saturate the pot, partially to make sure that the plant's small root structure has plenty of water to suck on and partly to settle the soil. Then I leave it alone for a while and don't water again until the pot feels light or the leaves show a little distress. THEN I know where I am in the watering cycle.

NO uncontrolled bottom watering. You MUST have feedback to get the watering right and you've set yourself up for a wing and a prayer, but no feedback. Fail is not to be unexpected.

Edit: I see that the cloth is dry .. now. I seriously doubt that it has been that way for long. Eh?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Last edited by dmforcier; November 12, 2017 at 11:14 PM.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote