View Single Post
Old May 9, 2017   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Cleaning carrots

I guess you never get too old to learn new tricks in gardening. In my four foot wide beds I planted three different spots with carrots starting back in the fall and planted them about a month apart. I can never tell from year to year what is the best time to plant them so this is the system that I have been using now for about 15 years. It usually works out so that two of the groups turn out perfect with one not doing as well. My individual plantings are not very large just three or four rows four feet long; but I usually have a quite good harvest. The biggest problem I have with carrots is what to do with them when they reach the point of needing to be pulled and stored. I finally found that the best way was to wash them quickly and put them in bags in the refrigerator. I tried scrubbing them with a brush but even that didn't remove all the dirt and I would end up scrapping my fingers that were holding the carrot til they were raw if I had a good number of carrots to clean. Even with all that work we would still end up having to peel most of them before using them.

I did find that using a stainless steel scouring pad would clean them good but it also scrapped them up pretty badly and they were basically peeled. It was too messy and roughed up the carrots too much. When I picked my second patch this spring I was trying to decide how I was going to clean them because I had gone back to washing them quickly and letting them dry a bit and putting them in a plastic bag but still didn't like having to always peel them before using them. I decided to try scrubbing them with one of those green cleaning pads and see how that worked. I couldn't believe how well it worked. I would rinse a carrot and scrub it lightly with the pad then rinse again and the results were terrific. The carrots were usually spotless and clean as can be. Now we don't have to peel them any more before using. I wish I had figured this out 40 years ago.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote