View Single Post
Old May 17, 2017   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

We have similar issues with wind! My big issue is in springtime just after the thaw, the coffee filters are all over the yard. I don't have anything to contain the pile except for some old wood framed around the bottom to make the edge a little neater. But I have lots of material for layering and this is what I do to contain it in the season. I have a lot of herb straw I use for 'browns' layer, and pretty often it's just a bucket of weeds on top of that to hold it down and keep from blowing off. Kelp (since you're coastal!) makes a fantastic layer for your compost, it is hot and also if wet it's heavy and does the same thing of holding the other stuff. Kelp makes a super cap for a pile that's as big as I want it, and then I start another one and let it cook.
I am supremely lazy and don't turn the compost for a year. Ants however go nuts in these unturned piles, but what the heck... if I turn it, they'll be all over me. Hate hate ant bites.
One great thing about the hardware cloth, it will keep out rodents too. Big bonus.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote