View Single Post
Old February 20, 2012   #2
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Tom Wagner sells it, and this is his description.

"Solanum sisymbriifolium “Litchi Tomato”. Personally I consider this more of an ornamental than an edible plant, but several people have told me that the fruit is actually quite good. One of my correspondents says:
…I quite like it. Yes, it is a seedy fruit but like raspberries, I don’t find this gets in the way of my appreciation of the fruit. The flavour is somewhat cherry like, I suppose, definitely fruity.

I’ve heard others say the same thing, “cherry-like”, some going so far as to make pies out of the fruit. The fruit grows on a vaguely tomato-like plant, more open, but spiny unlike a tomato. Unlike a tomato, it requires cross-pollination so grow at least several plants. It is also hardier and longer-lived than a tomato, and may survive mild dryish winters. Tom and I have some plants that seem to be surviving the winter. CAN BECOME WEEDY IN CLIMATES TO ITS LIKING. If it survives the winter, the second year it can turn into a spiney monster that poses a bit of a maintenance hazard. I’ve heard of people using the spines to advantage by planting it as a seasonal obstacle to animals or humans. That said, it’s quite attractive, with white or preferably pale blue flowers and fruit that turns bright geranium reddish-orange when fully ripe."

I don't need any more thorns on my property, so I passed.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote