View Single Post
Old July 6, 2006   #77
garaj
Tomatovillian™

During the Autumn season of 2004, I set out three Homemade 18 gal self watering containers. They were based on the JMALT, or paint pail wicking design. Two of the boxes were destroyed by hurricanes. The third, planted with an OTV Brandywine and an Ugly produced a total of 232 ounces , or 14.5 lbs.

During the Spring season of 2005, I went with five boxes. Three were of the JMALT design and two were of the JOSHO, or pond basket design. Box no.1, JMALT, planted with a Big Beef and Champion, produced 14.1 lbs. Box no.2, JMALT design,planted with a Champion and a Fourth of July, produced 11.9 lbs. Box no. 3, Josho design, planted with an Early Girl and a failed Andrew Rehart, produced 13.44 lbs. Box no. 4, JMALT design, planted with Ugly and Brandy Boy, produced 13 lbs. Box no. 5, Josho design, planted with Mule team and Sioux, produced 13.9 lbs.

During the Autumn of 2005, I set out seven boxes and planted just one plant per box. Plants were pretty well destroyed by a hurricane on October 24th.

This Spring season, 2006, I reverted to two plants per box. Box no. 1 with OTV Brandywine and Sioux produced 15.2 lbs. Box no. 2 with two Mule Teams, produced 12.3 lbs. Box no. 3, with Brandy Boy and Mortgage Lifter produced 13 lbs. Box no. 4 with two Brandy Boys produced 19.8 lbs. Box no. 5 planted with Red Brandywine(Landis) and Tomande produced 11 lbs.

All boxes were filled with Lamberts potting mix, a cup of dolomite lime, and either two cups of Tomato Tone 4-7-10 or two cups of 6-6-6 fertilizer.

Conclusions thus far: The JMALT and JOSHO designs work equally well. The 6-6-6 fertilizer works as well as the Tomato Tone 4-7-10. Production, less results of Autumn 2005, average out to 13-14 lbs per box. The only positive variance was the 19.8 lbs produced by the Brandy Boys in Box 4 this Spring season. It should be noted that the average production experienced is less than 50% of the 30lbs per Box claimed in ads for store-bought e-Boxes and other commercial types of self-watering containers. Maybe I'm missing something. Garaj
garaj is offline   Reply With Quote