View Single Post
Old January 6, 2018   #216
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've read and re-read most of this thread. I'll be making another pass tonight. I am shedding impressions of growing full sized plants in soil so please forgive these strange questions :

Is the term "sprout seed" the same as "shoot seed". In my mind sprouts are grown in water and microgreen shoots in a tray with soil or felt. Are the seeds in the expensive little specialty packages the same or are there specific ways to harvest or process seed for each purpose?

What is the purpose of the blackout tray? Is the outcome and different if you forego the darkness and start in a clear dome (albeit monitoring the seeds as to not dry out). I pat the seeds down in the coir and will use the felt mat for the first time., again patting to ensure good contact.

I saw a photo of microgreens growing on a felt pad compared with a tray that had soil underneath a felt pad. The difference was dramatic.
Thus I am wondering about the fertilizer regimen. Oakley mentioned adding a little when the greens are along.
What are the preferred fertilizers and concentrations (exclusive of any yucky fishy stuff)? How does the application and frequency differ for soil vs felt?
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote