Thread: Sausage/salami
View Single Post
Old November 19, 2018   #29
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
That is a real big doe for around here, 140 lb. My 8 pt from last week was probably a 2-1/2 yo, 113 dressed, so maybe 145 live weight. I had sweet, lebanon, and scrapple made from most of him down at a mennonite butcher shop. They don't add pork for the bologna and it is fantastic. I was able to hang for 2 days with skin on and the loins and eye rounds were fantastic, probably the best buck I've had.

Let us know what you think of those mixes...can you even make salami without special humidity control?

I have some tags left and rifle opens next week, but I have almost nowhere to go with the meat here at the house, other than into quart jars. The hanging post has been very busy.
I got the crossbow doe all cut up and cleaned of "silver skin" yesterday, looks good... Made an oven full of jerky last night. The non typical drop tine buck is still hanging, he had 14 points and weighs over 200#'s, I'm going to let him hang another day. A friend that helps make brats is taking care of the yearling, along with his buck.

My eldest stepson built a humidity controlled drying cabinet out of a glass front refrigerator like you see in stores. He bought the temperature and humidity controls from The Sausage Maker, it works good.

The recipe for slim jims or hot sticks on the container calls for cold smoking at 80 degrees then slowly raising the heat. I need some type of smoker where I can hang the slim jims and control the heat. I have 2 Brinkman smokers one is horizontal the other is upright. I may drill holes in the upright smoker and install wooden doll rods to hang them from, not ideal but better trying to build a smokehouse this time of year.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote