Thread: What Decease?
View Single Post
Old August 26, 2017   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing in your pictures, then your problem may be stemming from the stems.

In the pictures it looked like you have fasciated main stems -- they look like two stems fused together. I've had this happen twice, a couple of years ago with a paste plant and this year with a beefsteak that was grafted. In both cases the plants started out growing great, each produced a couple of fruit, and then they started wilting, shriveling, and eventually dying.

Both of mine showed the fasciation in the seedling stage, and I've read that it can be caused by a mutation or can be a hereditary trait. I now know it's best to discard any seedlings that show it.

What I discovered with this year's plant is that once the wilting really started, the fasciated main stem had started going hollow, first just on one side. Try gently squeezing the stems where it looks like there are two fused together to see if they're still completely solid. If not, then I'm guessing the plant may soon be done for.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote