View Single Post
Old February 19, 2018   #28
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

yes to t-post in the land of oz, and I use zip ties x2 to secure - makes setup a breeze.

I didn't see what "size" you got - the 20" or 24". I got the 24" and initially the cage can be a bit overwhelming for young transplants. I have been toying with cone insertion inside the TTC to add stability during the early stages, as you allude, the torrents of spring can be tornadic and dramatic.

some years my plants jump the top and I add extension - as needed - I have like 30 cages and only 8 extensions. the sweet million or SS100 growns like a bean stalk.

other specimens (zone 8a):

1) Brandy Boy. Usually gets about 8' by the solstice, but also grows wide. The cage is nice to tie off to with big branches and heavy fruit.

2) Cherokee Purple. Usually gets about 7.5" by the solstice (a tad less than BB).

3) Supersteak Hybrid. I am not growing this year, but is a prolific grower 8+ and puts off monster 2lb perfect softball toms.

4) Many others seem to get in that range. Not a fan of Big Beef or Better Boy. Both due well here but are generic to this area. Everyone and their momma grows those and not best in taste to me. Figure most grow b/c of the widespread disease and those hold up better than others.

IMO, it changes season to season and soil condition. If heavy fert. - I guess most can get large. Probably depends on the zone and weather to large degree too.

I personally like the TTC, easy setup, easy storage (or just leave outside) and not a rusty mess. The t-post will be enuff of an anchor, so don't feel inclined to stab the TTC all the way down - just enuff to "grab" some dirt.

Then again, I'm no expert. I look forward to your experiment this year and congrats on the TTC. I think you will like them and they will last. The real joy comes when everything is in full swing and you can trim back to avoid a convoluted mess.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote