View Single Post
Old November 19, 2018   #4
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

The average fruit size in this generation was 20.12 g. (Some plants averaged ~25g, while others ~15g. There was a strong plant-position-effect in the data.) The fruit were roughly twice as big as those on happy Tiny Tim plants I've grown in previous years. The one I grew this year was mostly ignored and had smaller than usual fruit.

I wasn't aiming for large fruit in particular, but the one micro F2 line I managed to recover and stabilize carried some larger fruit alleles along with it.

One plant this year had distinctly purple leaves, with no reduction in productivity compared to its neighbors. I saved those seeds separately. There was no anthocyanin-enhanced parentage in its history, so this was a surprise.
----

My understanding is the micro-dwarfs have two recessive dwarfing loci, so they'll be 1/16 of the F2s. You can get them even smaller if one of the parents was determinate, bringing it down to 1/64. You'll pretty quick get a feel for how to identify the normal/dwarf/micro classes of seedlings. It helps if they're under bright lights. Under less-intense lighting, the dwarfs and micros will stretch up and mimic the normals. (This was very frustrating for me this year.)

I've been trying to cross some of the anthocyanin traits from Indigo Rose into a micro, but no luck yet. I still need more practice with directed crosses. I might have had a F1 turn out last year btwn Tiny Tim and a beta-carotene line I've been growing. I have a bunch of seeds from that plant I need to screen for micros.
----

Too much to ask? Never!