View Single Post
Old April 27, 2015   #13
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
It like poppies each variety has different amounts of opium.
At least I would guess.
Not worth it.
Rich tomato flavor my eye.
Worth
Being part Lithuanian, it's practically required that I like poppy seeds in just about anything. Poppy seed bread--mmmmm!!.

All parts of poppies except the seeds are quite toxic. The California, Oriental, and Flanders poppies don't have edible seeds.

The only type of poppy that has edible seeds is the Breadseed poppy (papaver somniferum). Papaver somniferum also happens to be the species that is harvested in other parts of the world for opium. Note that using it for opium production in the US is highly illegal, but growing it for gardening/culinary purposes is legal. The one type of poppy used for opium production is not the kind that produces the most seeds. I want the seeds, so I grow Hungarian Blue and Giganteum. They make huge seed heads with lots of seeds. I comb through the seeds to make sure any other flower part hasn't slipped in. I don't want my poppy seed bread to be poisonous.