View Single Post
Old November 18, 2016   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Mulch for garlic

I just planted my garlic, which is actually about 3-4 weeks late, but temps were high, in the 80s, when I would normally plant it so I waited. Temps are still in the 50s and 60s during the day, with only a few in the 40s, so hopefully I will be OK. Last year they grew in the fall and I don't think that is really recommended. They were at least 6-8 high going into winter. The problem now is that I forgot to get mulch. I have a small amt of chopped straw mulch that I used over part of it, but they are out for the season where I usually get it. I have a few leaves that were partially chopped in the mower from my yard that I haven't put out for pick up yet, so I could use those. Mostly maple leaves. Any other suggestions? I do have some cedar mulch that I use in flower beds but I have never seen that type of stuff recommended for veggie gardens and I can't be sure what is in it for chemicals. Should I just pile a thicker layer of soil and compost on top? It is a mixture of soil and compost that I bought locally for my raised bed, already mixed together.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote