View Single Post
Old November 19, 2016   #11
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

The weather seems to get crazier and crazier. Temps this week here were still in the mid 60s, but it can turn quite cold pretty quickly. From what I have read, the ideal situation is weather and timing that allows them to put down roots before the ground freezes but planting late enough so that there is little or no top growth. I wondered if my small to medium sized bulbs this year had anything to do with the bulbs sending up too much growth last year and then getting frozen. Anyway, I think this timing will turn out to be pretty good. temps are starting to go down into the 30s every night, and even forcasted to down to 25 one night but 50s during the day. I am hoping this is the weather that allows for the root growth but less top growth this year. I get concerned about snow and getting busy with the holidays, and not getting the mulch down at all, which is why it is just easier to put it down now and not have to worry about it. My mower does not do a great job of chopping the leaves, and I ended up finding a place that has some chopped straw left, so I will probablly pick up a bag of that and put the leaves in the remainder of the garden to break down. I am concerned about the matting. Not much grass growing either any more. I didn't think about the neighbors leaves, lol. I am sure they would be find with my stealing some if I did need them.

I can't believe weather has been similar to Texas.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote