Thread: willow and kelp
View Single Post
Old February 17, 2014   #15
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I'm not sure what your saying there, it goes against any science that I've ever read.
If there are no natural forces that can break a covalent bond with a nutrient mineral like in a chelate, then no life would exist, everything would starve.
The subject was covalent rock mineral in sea kelp - not chelated compounds. Check on the acid required to dissolve (for example) quartz minerals.

Quote:
Soil bacteria do consume sugars from root exudates and organic matter, but plants are also able to absorb some sugars ...
Again, I was referring to specific carbohydrates that are a subset of those found in A. nodosum - and the excrement produced when consumed by bacteria present in many biologically active soils. This excrement has an auxin-like effect on plants. The shelf-life is pretty short, so don't go rushing to bottle it up. It appears to be part of a symbiotic relationship that goes back through the geologic ages.

When kelp extract is used in a foliar spray, or in the nutrient solution of "true" hydroponics such as "deep water culture" or "ebb-and-flow" in sterile rock, then the above activity does not occur.

Quote:
What is this "auxin-like compound" that you are referring too?
The Clemson study on kelp extract in horticulture is very interesting because it includes a vast review of the literature.

Auxins and compounds with auxin-like effects have been a huge area of agricultural research for the past 60+ years. For example, they are the bread-and-butter of Abbott agricultural group. Several universities have been leaders in this area. Here locally, UC Riverside is a champion.