View Single Post
Old November 26, 2018   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default First Cabbage and Turnips

Yesterday we picked the first cabbage and pulled the first fall turnips.

This is 'Charleston Wakefield', a 70 day cabbage developed for the South. It's one of the pointy headed types. This one got cut a bit early (just 2 lbs) but I needed a cabbage for a recipe. It's been 74 days from transplant and the others are still wrapping leaves. They'll get 3-4 lbs.

These are the 'Purple Top' turnips, a 55 day turnip. They're a bit small at the 54 day mark (about 2" diameter) but pulling them was sort of a thinning move. And besides, Pickles likes 'em that size. She cut off the greens and they're in a bag in the reefer awaiting cooking.

Tomorrow and Wednesday mornings it's supposed to get down to 27 and 28. Pickles is covering the carrots to be on the safe side.

Pickles also bought herself a "Christmas present"... a grass/leaf bagger for the Deere mower. She said since my knee puts me out of commission for raking up mulching leaves and she's not a spring chicken anymore, she figured it would be a handy thing to have. So she got it, assembled and installed it and it works like a charm. All the leaves will be dumped right next to the garden because that's where they'll be used instead of piling them up behind the house next to the compost pile. Now why hasn't that been done before? Too obvious, I guess.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote