View Single Post
Old May 20, 2017   #34
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Scott View Post
Tomato......................... # of toms set......................# already picked
Cosmonaut Volkov...........45 large to small..................10
Sungold.......................150+................ ....................25+
Cherokee Purple.............20+............................ ........First will be ripe next week
Momotaro......................20+................. ...................Maybe 2 weeks
Kellogg's Breakfast..........20+............................ ........First started blushing today
Berkeley Tie Dye Pink........5..................................... .Seed started March 5
Joe's Pink Oxheart.............3............................. .........Seed started March 5
Pink Ping Pong.................10........................... ...........Seed started March 5
German Johnson................5.......................... ............Transplant 1st week April

Started seed for GGWT, Rebel Yell, German Johnson Benton Strain and Hillbilly last week.

This is my first year growing in containers. Cosmonaut Volkov is a surprise. It grew so fast it became a jungle before I pruned to 4 stems and got it staked. It is too much for a 7 gallon grow bag and I have topped off one stem and will prune it back to just three stems when the fruit ripens on the stem I topped off.

Cherokee Purple and Momotaro share an earthbox. They are doing good, but I think I prefer grow bags.

Kellogg's Breakfast in a 10 gallon grow bag pruned to 4 stems is looking great. There are already a couple over 1 lb.

Joe's Pink Oxheart is pruned to two stems in a 7 gallon grow bag. It is the healthiest tomato plant I have ever grown.

Sungold is already over 6 ft tall and is headed for the neighbor's yard. I told the neighbor he can take any fruit that reaches over the fence.
Do you think containers has produced smaller tomatoes?

I find containers a challenge, but I am considering grow bags for my next round of planting.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote