View Single Post
Old July 5, 2017   #38
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
Thanks for the great pictures! The Coyote x Florida Pink cross is between two very different varieties (tiny yellow cherry x huge pink beefsteak), so size, shape, and color of the F2s and F3s will be all over the map. Flavor, too. Coyote is very sweet but has an odd aftertaste that reminds me of certain types of tropical fruit. It seems a little bitter to me and I don't care for it. Anyway, some of the F2s and F3s will have that taste and some won't.

Tropical Yellow also has Coyote ancestry, but I can't remember what else is in its background. I apparently didn't keep detailed enough notes back 10 years ago when I found it. In any case, it seems to have stabilized on yellow color and cherry size.
Now that the sun has come out, sheesh, it 105F with humidity, Tropical Yellow is turning like crazy. Loads of these tasty little treats. I have to go pick a bunch of them before the deer or the tomato worms get to them. I discovered that if you leave them on too long, they start to turn a yellow/orange color. They taste even sweeter, but still not sick sweet. Since I finally had so many ripe ones, I decided to taste a couple. They are sweet, but not sickening super sweet. Besides being sweet tasting, you kind of get an old fashion home-grown tomato taste mixed in there. Quite pleasant.
I would say the Tropical Yellow is stablized. All the plants I have of it, they all look and taste the same. Is it one I would grow again? Most definitely.

Coyote X Florida Pink, looks like they starting to get some of them that white kinda looking color before blushing. Thanks for the info on it. I'll get you pics of ripening fruit soon as they turn.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote