View Single Post
Old November 13, 2017   #3035
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Everything looks so good; including your soil. No problem with weeds in your raised beds? I've been using the weed barrier and if any mix/dirt pools in one area, a tiny weed will grow.

I ate my first tomato of the season this year. Two were ready and I ate them both; the early winner was Pink Bumblebee. Very good and a beauty to look at.

I have another tomato that changed color and will be ready in a couple of days. Sun Peach owns the honor.

After that everything is green, growing, and setting a lot of fruit.

I usually eat my first ripe BIG tomato on Dec 1; that is the goal I shoot for. It won't happen this year though; hopefully a lot of cherry tomatoes will be available.

---
One day last week I went to the hydro store for ProMix. They were having a vendor day on Saturday with 20% off coupon. The vendor sells Water Only Potting mix and worm castings.

On the water only Potting mix, everything is suppose to be in it. It's pretty pricey $25 for 1 CU foot; so that would be $50 to fill an EB. (vs $41 for 3.8 CU Promix which fills 3.5 EBs) Well the vendor ended up giving me a bag to try in the EB and report back. So I thought I should have a control EB and test using the same plants / same area (ie sun exposure). Since I only had some Sun Peach/Gold/Chocola seedlings left and Sweet Scarlett, I went with Sweet Scarlet. The cherries would be just too easy and set fruit regardless. Will log progress.
Barb, I adore your experiments. I can't wait to hear.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote