View Single Post
Old July 31, 2017   #13
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

I've done both pvc, and hose config.

if you have a "straight run" pvc would be good, 1/2 has better psi, but 3/4 is the usual suspect.

I use the hose config. (craftsman lifetime black rubber hose) b/c I had to navigate around some crepe myrtles and some other stuff. Haven't had a problem in 7 years. I build pvc around my garden deck (attached to side) with 10 spigots. I disconnect the hose in the winter time. The pvc above ground, I have had to replace a few breaks over the years, sun can be brutal and ANY water left in the pvc will crack it in a jiffy.

the hose to pvc fitting is compatable only though adapter, they are not natural thread relatives.

A pvc run can allow multiple risers on the same line, which can be an advantage. Esp. for leaky hose and such. During peak season, I have sweat hose on all my beds and just one turn on the main, turns them all on. uh, scratch that. the inline pvc hose turnoff (pic below) I installed had to be replaced every year and I removed. so no longer have that feature. I don't know why it kept leaking but it is not a solid piece and was the weakest link. It was a pain to replace to, b/c once cut off you were short to replace with another and also had to couple or replace one side of the line.

PVC-Ball-Valve.jpg

ha ha, just rambling now, but you git the gist. good luck.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; July 31, 2017 at 10:01 AM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote