View Single Post
Old April 27, 2013   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Addendum;

Daniel,

Big Zac plants consistently give growers large tomatoes upwards of five pounds as recently as last year.
Julia, I don't know how many message sites you read at but if you read at GW or DG or even here at Tville, I think you'll see that those NOT growing for competition by disbudding or looking for fused blossoms, etc, don't get fruits in the 5# range. More like 2-3 # and there are plenty of OP v arieties that do the same in the 2-3# range.

A bit of back story here.

Totally Tomatoes was originally owned by Wayne Hilton before he sold it and his other companies to Jung's a few years ago. The original contract was between Minnie and Hilton. But then the blurb for it read to rogue out this and that and that shouldn't occur with F1 plants.

So Minnie was invited to GW to hopefully explain what happened. And she graciously came. She said that TT had "lost" one of the parents.

When Hilton sold to Jung's the contract was still in force but they were able to locate the other parent, don't ask me how, b'c I don't know.

THey then had the original F1 done and now offer the correct Big Zac F1.

In the meantime there were several places that were offering F1 seed, which couldn't be, what they were offering was F2 seed and I remember that one of those places was Reimers.

As to the parents of Big Zac, a man named Bob Ambrose who lived in NJ frequently did stories about Minnie in his newsletter, whom he knew well. In one of them Minnie said that one of the parents was a family heirloom variety of hers.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn