View Single Post
Old January 31, 2015   #20
maf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I read this to mean they were siblings of the Sungold cross, which is what I read elsewhere but now cant find it. But I agree, it's not clear wording.

"Solanum lycopersicum Orange Centiflor Hypertress Cherry Tomato
One of the unusual characteristics of the Centiflor tomatoes is that, unlike most garden tomatoes, they outcross occasionally.This creates problems in seed saving but opportunity for crosses that the bees can do. This new variety arose from a cross of Sungold with Red Centiflor. These are vigorous hypertress vines with remarkably delicious fruits.
Solanum lycopersicum Yellow Centiflor Hypertress Cherry Tomato
Derived from the same cross detailed in the previous listing, this line makes somewhat larger fruit, with a distinctive point on the end of the round bright fruits. While both parent species leading to this cultivar has 5-20 flowers in a spike, these centiflors (meaning 100 flowers) have hypertresses of flowers leading to a unique and distinguishing aspect."
Yes, I agree the wording is unclear and/or misleading; the previous listing is Orange Centiflor but from the description it sounds like the previous listing being referred to is for Red Centiflor, but that is not actually the previous listing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
which is what I read elsewhere but now cant find it
I have also seen the other websites that list the parentage of Yellow Centiflor as including Sungold, but I think they may have been getting their information from this same source material.

From the close to source descriptions I have seen the red and yellow versions were around from the beginning which makes sense given that one of the wild parents was yellow fruited.

Also, in European multiflora tomatoes there seems to be an over-representation of yellow varieties compared to the ratios seen in "normal" tomatoes, again suggesting a yellow fruited parent somewhere in the mix. See Blondkopfchen, Mirabelle, Ildi etc.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote