View Single Post
Old March 20, 2018   #15
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I do what I call Limited Tilling which means that I till in organic materials once a year in the fall. I do not have raised beds so my soil gets very compacted during the growing season by walking on it.

No Till has a lot of people who love it but No Till does not mean that you never do anything to the soil. You still need to be adding amendments such as compost and other organic materials routinely, you just do not till them under, you allow nature to do the work for you and you should not be walking on the garden since it will cause compaction. Many no till people have raised beds.

If your soil is becoming compacted I would say that you have probably not been adding mulch and other amendments to the soil and it is probably time to do that. At this point if you have compaction, then you will probably need to till some organic materials into the soil to fluff it up but if you decide to remain no till after that then you should be adding layers of organic material to the top of your soil routinely.

Last edited by brownrexx; March 20, 2018 at 02:44 PM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote