View Single Post
Old September 18, 2018   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Once again, thank you for the excellent information ph, and the warning carolynk.

The idea of using the alfalfa pellets came from a garden club lecture I recently attended about daylilies. The breeder has a demonstration garden on a quarter acre suburban lot very near me and her topsoil was stripped when the subdivision was platted, leaving hard pan clay. She throws a handful of the pellets before planting and has very friable soil now. Good producing heirloom tomatoes too.

If the local nursery comes through with tilling services I can have cover crops in the future. It was way too hot for even radishes this spring.

- Lisa

A row of hot peppers will be in the last row to the left. I can grow hots out in the open if I don't use Osmocote. The critters didn't bother the hot peppers the way they did the sweets with organic granular fertilizers or ripening fruits.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; September 18, 2018 at 09:36 PM. Reason: The planned garlic and pepper area to the right of the strawberry bed in the flame weed thread is 30 X 30
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote