Thread: J&L Gardens
View Single Post
Old November 14, 2013   #45
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Lee, I am afraid that I did not keep a note of which of the Dwarf varieties I had from you, as trial samples, so I shall tell you of my experiences with all I grew.

The dwarfs I grew where:-D Mr Snow, D Wild Fred, D Kelly Green, Yukon Quest, Rosella Purple, Summertime Green and Summertime Gold.
This year, as last, they were not suited to outdoor growing in the UK, even though they were against a S. facing wall. They were all very late setting and needed to ripen up indoors. Eventually Summertime Green and Gold gave a large crop which ripened indoors and kept good flavour. I shall try some of them next year in the greenhouse. All apart from Rosella Purple were much taller than expected and I had to stop them at 5 foot due to lack of available height.

The other varieties from you, Banded Amazon and Fioletovyi Kruglyi, were grown in a greenhouse.
Banded Amazon was not very productive. The first truss had flowers which just did not develop. Later trusses did set but the main stem then became blind and I had to let a side shoot develop which was then all rather late. I was expecting it to be Indeterminate. Should I have let it bush? The flavour was OK but not special.
I had difficulty with Fioletovyi Kruglyi at the germination stage with the seed leaves and first true leaves being very pale. This resolved itself, although all the early growth was much paler than usual, but then turned quite a dark green, compared to other varieties! It was very productive but the fruit did not keep well and I am afraid I did not like the flavour.
We did have a very cool and dull Spring. The Summer when it did come was good and we were helped by a mild Autumn.
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote