View Single Post
Old April 15, 2018   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

What people do in raised beds seems the same as in containers - add back roughly 1/3 fresh compost or as much as needed to replace nutrients. Unless you have soil borne diseases or some serious pest infestations, adding enrichments seems to work well in place of rotation. That is as long as you remove all of the tomato plant waste from the past year. Small roots don't seem to matter, and worms eat them up pretty quick.
I even used last year's tomato container soil, little roots and all, to make up a potting mix for my seedlings this year, and had no problems with it.
I do think rotation is really important on the farm scale, at least in part because it isn't practical to remove all the plant residues and much easier to till them in. But on the garden scale, we can give a small patch lots of attention when space is scarce.

I replanted a raised bed of garlic last season on the same principle - left it fallow for awhile after all plant material was removed, and then turned in lots of new compost before planting - and they did as well as other garlic beds and no worse for pest or disease etc. I think it's safer to rotate, especially with crops like alliums, but if you don't have much space then care of the soil can be a workaround.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote