View Single Post
Old April 19, 2018   #3186
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
So on my way into Starbucks this morning, I saw a very elderly man who had obvious symptoms of Parkinson's disease hunched over the bushes in the parking lot landscaping. I walked over just to investigate whether he needed help or not. Turns out he was Brazilian and spoke next to no English, but was picking some small red fruits and putting them in his pocket. It took me a minute to figure out the details with the language barrier, but he called them pitanga and had planted the vines inside of the bushes to hide them from birds and so the branches would act as a trellis. He gave me a couple to eat, very interesting flavor. Tasted like a cross between a tomato and a tart cherry. I looked it up and is called a Suriname cherry and is a very healthy superfood. If you ever have a chance to taste one, I recommend it. I saved the pit from one that I ate to try and grow myself.
Brock, the bushes are readily available at HD. Or at least they used to be. Quite a common hedge. Be careful- fruit fly larvae are frequently found in the fruit. We ate them all the time as a kid.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote