View Single Post
Old August 15, 2015   #39
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I believe that when lavanta says Urfa Pepper, he means Isot. There are many different Isot varieties in the region used for premium quality pepper flakes. The strain that lavanta shows in the picture is one of the main strains and I also believe that it is the same one as Louis Laz has been offering in SSE's Yearbook since 2013.

Last year, I finally got my hands on a seed stock which came from a very reliable source in Urfa. The family who sent the seeds to me has been using the peppers which the seeds came from for ages to make pepper flakes. I grew out the seeds on the farm last spring and found out that actually what they call Isot is a mix of different shape of thin skin peppers. Typically there are three shapes that got my attention, as pictured below:

IsotTSP.JPG

I will do a selection of different shapes and increase my seed stock next year to offer in our catalog.

There are two other important pepper flake varieties of Turkish origin. One is Antep and the other one is Maras. I released Pul Biberlik Maras (meaning Maras for Pepper Flakes) for the first time in 2013 (seeds weren't commercially available prior to 2013): http://www.twoseedsinapod.com/pepper...biberlik-maras. I sent a sample of Maras to a lab for Scoville test and they reported back with 10,700 SHU. I will do the same for Isot as well.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote