Thread: Texas Chili
View Single Post
Old February 12, 2017   #21
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Made a nice rich bone/beef broth Friday. That means chili. I've been out of my freezer chili stash for a while. I freeze in pint containers and can use it straight up or add to a
Mexican soup, for pasta, chili dogs, tacos, or stretch it with lots of veggies, rice and beans (over NewOrleans style R&B)

I stock those big bags of dried chilis from the international market. Heat in my big cast iron low and slow, turning till softened, de-seed, soak in hot water. Puree with lots of fresh garlic...the rest is a total wing-it as i've made it so often. Toast seeds for a chili powder mix...
Not sure my favorite meat cut but get what looks good 'on the day'. Don't like it cut to big or too small. Not big like a beef stew. I tried a large grind using the biggest die once that was good. I was grinding for sausage and burgers anyway so that saved some time.

Only thing probably not traditional Tex style is a bit of masa slurry and a chunk of dark chocolate at the end. (don't care for the Mexican chocolate as most of them have cinnamon)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote