View Single Post
Old January 6, 2017   #1
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

Default Cold Frame...Portable Greenhouse for seedlings.

I am not growing for market but I thought this question might be answered best here.

I am in Indiana zone 6a. I have always started my tomato, pepper and other garden seeds indoors under lights using a spare bedroom. I had enough stands and lights so I was able to start a couple hundred plants or so and keep them indoors until time to harden them off to plant outdoors.

I am losing most of the spare bedroom to my wife for her use (she is my best friend so its OK) but now I need a new plan. I will have 1 lighted 4 shelf stand with 2' x 4' shelves. That is still plenty of room for seed starting several hundred vegetables and flowers. But when its time to pot up they will need to go outdoors in early spring. I usually start things rolling around March 1 with some earlier and some later. Which means they will need to go outdoors a few weeks later.

I am thinking about a passive heated cold frame or portable greenhouse to be used only for spring seedlings 4-6 weeks a year. I might be building a permanent heated greenhouse but that is 2-3 years away.

Does any one have any suggestions on these things? Buying? Building one?
Brands?, etc.

Any advice is appreciated.
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote