View Single Post
Old July 18, 2018   #6
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
After years of leaving the blossom stems low down on the main stem hoping to get some decent tomatoes from the tiny set fruits left I have found it is just easier to remove the stem. Very rarely do I get a decent sized fruit from these left behind sets though sometimes I do. Since I am doing the lean and lower those old stems just create problems in handling the vines and most of the fruit they produce is small to very small. Since they are usually laying on the mulch for a long time they are frequently eaten by insects before they can ripen anyway. Once I am dealing with fruit on the clusters much further up the vines it is easier and causes less disease and pest problems to just remove everything below the ripening fruits. I used to leave the old blossom stems with small greenies on them but have finally started removing them also and despite that my production seems to have gone up. I was just wondering if anyone else has come to the same conclusion and is removing them also?

Bill
I cut them off, they take away energy that tomatoes above could be using. I agree
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote