View Single Post
Old August 11, 2018   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default NG's season 2018

After a horrific heat wave, the whole nature seems to be in a shock here and many crops are exceptionally poor (rye comes to mind).
Tomatoes have had to suffer this erratic weather.
I know that 25-29C isn't too bad for many of you, who constantly have 90F and above every summer. But for us... oy vey.

Not surprisingly, the taste has been kind of watery for many early fruits, given all the watering this summer. (Surprisingly, Lotos tasted very good - I did not have any, but my parents did and enjoyed.)
Some beefsteak varieties dropped their blossoms.. Indian Stripe has some ripening fruits, so does Big Beef and Terhune, but nothing really massive.

Cherry tomatoes seem to be the winners: they survived last year's rainy summer and they survive this tropical heat as well. My Cereza Amarilla is exceptionally vigorous and the fruits have a nice acidic tang combined with sweet fruityness. It seems to be going on and on and on.

Lesson learned. No matter what the year is like, always plant several cherry varieties, (and other smaller fruited ones) they always survive and thrive!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote