View Single Post
Old July 2, 2013   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I finally did get a few of the Lemon Drop to try. They are ok. My only complaint against Lemon Drop taste-wise is that I happen to have Chang Li, a Chinese yellow pear, that I like a lot better. My Chang Li fruit are not pear-shaped, nor much bigger than the Lemon Drop, but they have incredible flavor. I did not put a plant in the high tunnel, the plant I have been picking from was one that I threw out onto a pile of discarded plants next to my greenhouse. I got Chang Li from Tormato's seed swap, so thank you very much to whoever contributed it.

To add some addendums to my reviews, the Sibirskiy Skorospelyi got sunburn very badly, much worse than any other plant in the high tunnel. None of my red tomatoes have impressed me at all. It looks like I will stick to Early Girl and Big Beef for red tomatoes. Taxi and Orange Blossom are my yellow & orange.

Something that really surprised me....I planted one Orange Minsk in the high tunnel. It unsurprisingly produced about five tomatoes, compared to the Orange Blossom F1, which had about 35 per plant. So I was thinking, at least it will taste awesome, right? But no, not at all, actually. The Orange Minsk might have been just a touch better than the Orange Blossom, but not by very much at all. I am wondering if the bland taste of my tomatoes in the high tunnel might be because my soil needs manure, compost, or more organic matter. My fertilizer regimen worked darn well in producing quantity of fruit. I need to work on quality though, especially flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0629131224_0001.jpg (42.4 KB, 33 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote