View Single Post
Old August 19, 2018   #1
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default The Garden of Woz in the land of OZ

Seeing that a number of members get a bit wanting for news /photos of tomatos during your northern off season, I thought I would try to track what I do and grow Down Under over our growing season.

For a start, we live on roughly 9 acres of drained swamp, which means good old silt over silty spewy subsoil with clay about 5 feet down. This means raised beds or wicking beds are what I grow in. Temps are currently ranging from 2 or 3C over night to 12 to 15C during the day with good late winter days getting upto 20C, but these are rare. February is typically the hottest month averaging in the high 20'sC (typically 27 to 30), with days of 35+ not uncommon. We have hit 47C in 2009 at around the time of the bushfires back then (Black Saturday they are known as here). Humidity is typically low during summer, generally 15 to 25% but can drop to 0% on the really hot days. Not many problems with tomato disease in my gardens.

All the signs are pointing to an early spring this year, and we are due a hot summer, least the dam and tanks are full.

Started planting tomato seeds yesaterday (18/8/18), generally 4 or 5 of each with 10 of WES planted. Any spelling mistakes are mine.

Claro Verde
Amish paste
Early Wonder
Earliana
Wes
MS
Green Zebra
Pink Thai Egg
Oxheart
Red Cherry Roma
Black Krimm
Yellow Striped Roman
Verna Orange
Orange Grosse Lisse
Yellow Grosse Lisse
Yellow Pear
Heidi
Low Acid Yellow
Low Acid Yellow - Orange Heart (an orange heart thet surfaced one year from a commercial Low Acid Yellow plant rather than a more typical slicer)
Caro rich
Schimmeig Creg
Berkeley Tie Dye
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Large Barred Boar
Red Pomodoro del vesuvio
Yellow Pomodoro Inverno Torre Suda
Red/Green Striped Munchkin
Yellow Cherry Munchkin
Orange Grape Munchkin - These "Munchkins" are out of a bucket of mixed cherry toms from when we were on holiday in South Oz earlier this year - branded as Munchkins
Barry's Crazy Cherry
White Zebra
Mint Julep
Dr Wyche's Yellow
Lithium Sunset
Black Icicle
Blue Chocolate Cherry
Golden King od Siberia
Blondkopfchen
Amana orange.

Have these on a heat pad in a small greenhouse currently. Weather is very wet and windy at the moment.

I am aware that there is/has been debate about one or tow of these on here recently, so we shall see which versions have made it down under.

Woz
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote