View Single Post
Old August 8, 2017   #44
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Interesting! I've not noticed that because I rarely let them bloom, but I'll watch for it in the future.
I haven't noticed that but I pull all the blooms off way before they open while I am waiting to set them out in the garden. I know if you let the first bloom set and grow the plant will suffer but if you keep the blooms culled until the plant gets about 16 to 18 inches high before letting them set fruit the plant will get much bigger. The only problem with that is you lose your earliest peppers. I will let a few make early in order to have some peppers early but most are kept culled til they reach a decent size.

The shading has cut the sun scald by 80% or more and the plants in the shade are actually making larger peppers and just as many as the ones in full sun. I still have problems with leaf footed bugs and stink bugs stinging them and then when they ripen they will have soft spots develop where they were stung. I guess I am going to have to use my Permethrin, DE and Dawn mix on my bells in the next day or so and put a stop to that if I can. I picked all the blushing ones off today so they can afford to go a few days without picking.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote