View Single Post
Old July 16, 2017   #48
bower
Tomatovillian™

I do most of my fertilizer at planting time: bone meal, chicken manure this time, chopped up kelp, and compost, but I also have seen the plants need more fertilizer when they start to ripen. This year we are late, but the fruit are not growing as fast or as big as sometimes and I think they needed more fert... already before they do ripe.
Last week I fed my container plants some more 5-4-3 chicken manure and topped with an inch of compost, for lack of anything better. Plants responded well but A week later I'm seeing little white roots on the surface as I have seen before. Granular ferts just don't work for me as a top dressing. And I 've been reading this and other threads and googling around TTF but it doesn't appear to be available in Canada. Today I spent the whole hot afternoon in big box stores, searching among other things the SOLUBLE fert that I need for my tomatoes. Canada version.

And I found something finally. PROMIX organic based with mycos soluble fert, it is 9-16-16. They give a dilution rate (2 TBS to 5 liters or roughly a gallon of water) but I don't know how the application rate should go for my container plants. They say a gallon for 5 sq meters in the garden or 10 8 inch pots, instead of yay much for x number of 8 ft tall tomato plants. Help, anyone? It's evening now so I guess to apply in the morning.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote