View Single Post
Old August 2, 2015   #132
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Interesting. I found that by spacing plants well, mulching well, and strictly bottom watering, as well as disciplined removal of lower leaf spotting (early blight), my plants were the best I've ever had - spraying absolutely nothing.

Then again, all in containers and bales, I do have an advantage, since there are probably less spores to worry about.

So my Large Lucky Red (I grew one of the plants) is a large pink - seems to have circled all the way back to Brandywine! Not yet tasted.
Good information. Interesting on the Large Lucky Red. Mine are true to type and I saved lots of seeds. I'm not sure what filial generation it is, but if you want to advance it I can supply you seeds.

Some of my plants were well spaced were treated with copper and Serenade and hardly show any signs of disease. That is not the case with the ones treated with aspirin. In other areas I went with tighter spacing to get in more plants due to breeding. Everything is a trade off.

I mulch everything, but was a little late getting the mulch down so there was some initial splash back (I still don't know if that's one word or two). So much so that in some cases it had the appearance of flea beetle damage. I have eggplants so I have no flea beetles on my tomatoes and peppers.

Of course the other reason for suspending the Atomic Grow testing was because if my foliar fertilizer went on to win I could be accused of slanting the experiment. Next year I plan to grow 6 plants of the same variety. Two will be treated with Atomic Grow, two with my foliar fertilizer and two will be untreated. I also want to do more thorough testing of Epsom Salt, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit that in.
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote