View Single Post
Old July 22, 2016   #69
KayJay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
That's a good question, Karen. I over-winter for about four months. If I had to keep them inside for 5 months or more, it might drastically change the survival rate. I know that at the end of four months, some of them look pretty pitiful.

Longer periods might require more work - more lighting, for example, or perhaps even some fertilizing. I give them very diluted fish fert about once a month when they are over wintering, but I really don't fuss over them at all.
I know this is an old post, but I just thought I'd share my OW success story. I had Cayenetta and Apache peppers in containers that I OWed. I'm in the Toronto area. I brought them in probably early October, and it was early April before I could start bringing them outside again on sunny days to harden them off again. They were in my living room window, which gets no direct sunlight from about early Nov - mid March.

Here they are in late June, 2014, after purchasing the seedlings in mid-May.

They were certainly looking a little rough by February, but by April, they were coming back to life with new growth and even flowers! Here they are on almost the exact same date one year later. Look at all those peppers!

I had them all set to bring back inside again last October, and I FORGOT about them and they died in the frost. *slaps forehead*

...but I'll be trying again this year with my mini orange bell and 'Cute Stuff' in those two containers.
KayJay is offline   Reply With Quote