View Single Post
Old July 16, 2009   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

dice,

Thanks for the reply.

So here is a "visual" on my situation:

Two separate issues. One, my potting mix is running too moist, even though I had reduced the size and height of the wicking basket this season. Two, I added Dolomite Lime PLUS Epsom Salts this season, and I am getting a reading of about 5.7 on the pH Meter. Last season, I was getting a reading of 6.4. So, I need a suggestion on how to reduce the acidity of the mix to the proper range.

The more serious issue is how to get a "blend" of the Miracle-Gro potting mix with another commercially available amendment to have a better drained composite mix. I found this mix at Lowes today, and I am thinking about blending 1 cubic foot with about 2.5 cubic feet of the original Miracle-Gro potting mix.

Here is a close-up of the ingredients:

I am a bit concerned about the "sand" content in a SWC type of eco-system, but I am willing to experiment with any additive to reduce the moisture retention of my blend. What do you think?

Overall, the tomato plants are doing fine, but I would like to have less leggy, more robust, healthy foliage top to bottom:

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote