View Single Post
Old February 19, 2014   #9
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
We had a massive invasion two summers ago and they were all over my pole beans then my roses and crepe mertyls and I didn't do anything about it until it was too late. At the very beginning of the season, put out traps and lures and keep changing the bags. I did better with them last year because I got a jump on it. Apparently, they like the grubs that live in peoples lawns and if you treat the grubs, you'll have less of a problem with the Japanese beetles, or something like that anyway. Maybe someone else can chime in with some advice on that part. Good luck!
Just a quick clarification - I believe I am correct in saying that they ARE the grubs (or at least some of them) in your lawn. That's their larval stage. I have had several years of severe infestation - they LOVE soybeans and other beans, several of DW's flowers, the silk on my sweet corn ears, raspberries, grapes, asparagus, even the apple trees. I will definitely look into both DE and four o'clocks. I'll try anything at this point. I spent big bucks for stuff (spinosad, or maybe it was milky spore, I think) to treat our extensive "lawn" several years ago and saw zero results. I hate those buggers.

Last edited by FarmerShawn; February 19, 2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: clarify
FarmerShawn is offline   Reply With Quote