View Single Post
Old December 9, 2017   #144
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It is possible to feed tomatoes too much nitrogen. The leaves do get thick and will display an almost blue color. Blossoms will form, yet they will fall off of the plant and not produce fruit. These new plants look nice. It is hard for me to judge their color without something such as your grass in the background. Are your plants greener and bluer than the grass? If so, nitrogen leaches out easily. I would just leave them alone, water normally and begin feeding them in two weeks or so.

If you are worried that your other plants are too pale, then it is time to switch them to a full dose rather than your 1/2 dose of your MiracleGro which is very high in nitrogen. Again I would also add 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of Epsom Salts to the mix. This will give them the additional magnesium that they need.

Now on to something else. I would remove the bottom leaves on the plants in your first two photos. They are showing signs of something starting. I would also spray these plants well with your copper spray in case this is the beginning of molds.

Go right ahead and slice those roots. It will not harm your plants and will help them to spread their roots out. It sounds as if these are root-bound. Teasing or cutting the roots apart works nicely on this.

I think that all of your plants are looking pretty good. There may be a few stragglers, but it seems that they all are perking up nicely. You might want to show us a side by side shot of one of your new plants, one of your old outdoors in the grass.