Thread: Canning Season.
View Single Post
Old September 24, 2017   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Unless you are planning on long range preserving I find it almost not economical to can either one anyway.
Maybe carrots.
Another thought is from my observations in life eating potatoes with the skin on is a rather new concept.
When many of these instructions came out for canning them it was almost unheard of.
Sometimes I think I was the family test goat.
They would observe me after eating crazy stuff for a few days and then try it if I didn't get sick.
Depending on what culture you were from when I was young you simply could not get someone to eat a potato skin even if it was a baked potato skin.
Another one was you did ((NOT)) eat under cooked meat of any kind.

I distinctly remember eating my baked potato skin and rare steak when I was young and the family looking on in horror.

Here is my worthless take on canning with skins on.
Water being the least dense and the skin being on the outside of the potato.
This part will get up to the required temperature first and therefor be at that temperature longer than the center of the potato.
Not trying to be argumentative it is just fact.
In the heat treating of steel world this is called soak time.
The more mass something has the longer it has to be "soaked" once the required temperature is reached.
It is also the reason they dont have any recipes for products that have thickeners like flour in them.
They cannot control all the variables involved therefor they cant control mass therefor they cant come up with a soak time.
Factories do it because they have a lab to do testing and of which they aren't going to give up information.
This would put them on the spot if the person didn't follow the guidelines to the tee.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote