View Single Post
Old July 13, 2007   #3
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Default Tree Fruit - Apples, Stone Fruits

We're starting to get some decent peaches, and this is a quick and easy peach cobbler. I've cooked this in a Dutch oven over a campfire, too. It's not really the traditional type of cobbler, but we think it's pretty good. Our wild raspberries are just ripening, so I usually throw in a handful or two over the peaches.

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
A cuppa flour, a cuppa sugar, a cuppa milk (1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches, with the juices (about 3 or 4 peaches)

1. To peel fresh peaches, dip peaches in boiling water. Leave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. You’ll start to see the peel separating from the flesh. Take out of the water – you can immerse them in ice water if you don’t feel like burning your fingers peeling them while they’re still hot. Slice over a bowl so you save all the juice.
2. Put the butter in an ovenproof dish (mine is a 2-1/2 quart oval baker) and put in the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. While the butter is melting, mix up the batter by combining the cuppas, baking powder, and salt.
3. When the butter is completely melted, remove the pan and pour the batter into the melted butter. Then, carefully spoon the peaches and juice evenly over the batter. Return dish to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
4. As the cobbler cooks, the batter will rise up and around the peaches.
5. If fresh peaches are not in season, you can substitute frozen unsweetened peaches. Don’t even bother using canned peaches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peach-Cobbler.jpg (108.8 KB, 48 views)
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote