View Single Post
Old September 23, 2009   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

"Lemon verbena is only 'rated' to about 40 F..."

That's surprising! Kathi Keville says she's seen mature, well-mulched plants survive 25F winters where the ground didn't freeze. I've seen a small lemon verbena tree in San Francisco (less than 20 ft. high), but it gets colder here and mine hasn't ever grown taller than 5 ft. I had it in a large pot (a 24-inch box) for a couple years, then planted it in the ground 2-3 years ago. I think mine took longer to revive this year because I kept tripping over it and pruned it too much last year, but the new growth looks much stronger. I haven't ever protected it in the winter, but I'll do that this winter and see if it bounces back sooner in the spring.

Craig, since your lemon verbena is in a pot, I'd keep it in the pot until next spring so that you can take it indoors during cold snaps. Then, when temperatures are reliably over 40, you can put it in the ground in a warm, sheltered spot that will be easy to protect once winter comes -- next to a south-facing wall, or under a south-facing eave. With all spring, summer, and fall to grow more roots, it should be better able to deal with life outdoors.

I also have a lemongrass plant in the ground, which I think is even more cold-sensitive. Last winter, I protected it with a cloche (5 gallon plastic water bottle with the bottom cut out), and left all the dry foliage until it was warm enough to remove the cloche in the spring.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote